As my title states 'it's good in Georgia.' I just returned to Tbilisi from Dmanisi and had a great time in the field. I returned because there is limited space at the dig house due to the new class of field school students, which is 15! This is the biggest field school yet and is a mixture of students from all over the world, including the USA, Switzerland, Philippines, and Georgia. I was able to meet them, but in limited capacity as I took the bus back to Tbilisi a few hours after they showed up.
It was a great weekend in Dmanisi, and it started off on a great note! As you may recall from my previous post, there is a shortage of wild animals in Georgia and what I have seen has been limited to birds and reptiles. Well, I am happy to report that I can now add mammals to my list. I rode with Reid to Dmanisi after he lectured at the museum last Wednesday and we saw a roe deer and a jackal on the way. It was nice to finally see some animals endemic to the region.
While I was at Dmanisi, I got a chance to excavate. Reid is opening up new test pits around the promontory in order to fully understand the geology of the area, so I helped excavate M13. It was a fun experience, especially the first day because one of the archaeologists had too much to drink the night before and had to take a nap after lunch for the rest of the day. We found a lot of pottery and bones, including great find in the photo below.
| A medieval ქვევრი (kvevri), which is a pitcher for mainly wine, but also grain, milk, and other liquids. |
| Dmanisi detox |
After being destroyed in backgammon, Jimi, the medieval archaeologist, returned and was eager to test out the new toaster/panini press that was purchased for the field school. Much to my delight, he made some delicious Georgian 'burritos' using some Armenian tortilla-like flat bread and some spicy concoction for a filling. They were delicious, and very filling, and we ended up staying up late, having some wine and beer, and discussing many topics from the Russians to Georgian wine to the intricacies of the Georgian language (which I am beginning to understand more and more [about time after four years!]). It was a fun night.
Sunday was pretty boring, and I read some more and worked on some things. I was waiting for everyone to arrive so I could take the bus back to Tbilisi.
I worked again at the museum today and looked at a lot of bones. I have gone through all of the horse bones that we haven't looked at, and am happily on pace to look at over 1000 bones for the summer.
Martha arrives on Friday and we will be going to Dmanisi again next week probably.
This week, I have decided to spend more time learning Georgian and brushing up on my Spanish, because I really want to be fluent in another language and I need to push myself to get to that level. Spanish will be the attainable goal for the near future, since I have six years under my belt and can read it fairly fluently. I really wish I could speak Georgian though, so I could talk to everyone who doesn't know English well. My goal for this summer is to finish my 'Learning Georgian' book and be able to understand more of the conversations around me. Speaking is a whole other issue that will come around with time and practice, but actually listening for verb conjugations and common words is an attainable goal. I had a makeshift conversation with the taxi driver last night, but I wish I could have explained things better. Katie and I also have aspirations to learn German, which started last fall, but we will try to pick it up again this fall.
Anyways, this reminiscing and rambling is thanks to some Konig Pilsener ludi and some Saperavi dry red wine, so I hope it is coherent! Ha!
I will report again soon.
Nakhvamdis,
Reed
Learning German must happen! Even if it is just a little bit, I think we can manage :)
ReplyDelete