My time in Georgia is quickly dwindling and I am getting excited to get home and see everyone (especially Katie, but not kitty! ha!).
Last weekend was pretty eventful, as it was the final few nights for the
field school students and we explored some of the Tbilisi nightlife.
One interesting place was called the Laboratory, and they had some very
interesting alcoholic elixirs of all different colors, including one
with matsoni (Georgian yogurt) and cucumber. Unfortunately, they were
out of matsoni, so I didn't get to try that one. Laboratory was well off
the beaten path, and deep into the labyrinth of Old Tbilisi. The inside
was much like a college party house, with graffiti all over the walls,
couches, and the aforementioned mixed drinks (read: liquor with a splash of mixer). It also had a nice balcony
with quite the view of Tbilisi, as seen in the pictures below.
| Freedom square on the left and the blue lights on the right are a construction crane |
| Nice view of Mother Georgia too |
We also went to a few other places the next night, including an attempt to sing karaoke, but it cost 400 Lari (~$250) just to get a table! We ended at a British pub where a band was playing many classic songs from the Beatles to Blur to Skynyrd.
We also went to the market near the dry bridge in Tbilisi, which is in a park between a bridge over a major thoroughfare and a bridge over the river. I have visited this market many times, and probably wrote about it some, but there are many interesting things available for purchase. The market is basically divided into a few different sections. The higher area is more oriented towards Soviet era items, mostly books, paintings of Stalin and Lenin, war uniforms and medals, and various weapons.
The lower park area near the busy street has mostly 'traditional' Georgian souvenirs, and I use traditional loosely. They also have a lot of art in that area. Among the souvenirs, they have many knives, horn core drinking sets (as seen below in all shapes and sizes), small ceramics, magnets, and various wood carvings, and wool hats, socks, and scarves. Some interesting things in this area came to light this year, including the knife seen below and one of the most racist paintings I have ever seen (no picture, sorry).
| Horns of all sizes |
| Yep, that's a Nazi SS knife |
The other area of the market is a mix of antiques and electronic gear, along with overlap from the first area of the market. It has every wire, speaker, and remote control you could ever dream of. It also boasts various pirated DVDs and computer games, fine china, and chandeliers. There is also a niche for bad taxidermy (see below). I also saw several flint lock rifles from the 17th and 18th century. They were in pretty rough shape, but the makers marks showed their true ages.
| Shash besh! Poor kitty |
Anyways, the market is an interesting place to pick up souvenirs and find cool things to look at but not buy. Maybe next year I will purchase that switchblade I have always dreamed of or that Soviet era revolver that would look good in my holster (that I don't have).
Well, as the last weekend approaches, I have wrapped up most of my work in the museum and might just take the rest of my days for sightseeing and 'me' time. Maybe something fun will come up!
Until then,
Nakhvamdis,
Reed
Don't be hating on kitty! He (maybe) misses you! :)
ReplyDelete